IncludeNYC logo

School Transfer

October 19, 2021
K-12, Special Education

If attending your child’s assigned school presents a hardship (such as travel, safety, medical, or childcare), you may be eligible for a hardship transfer. Most requests can be made at the Family Welcome Center Enrollment Office. Unlike other transfers, a safety transfer request must come from the school. See the Safety Transfer section below for more information. 

Childcare Transfer (Grades K-5 Only)

A transfer can be requested if your child’s school is too far from your workplace or the childcare location. You will need to provide documents from your employer and/or childcare provider.

Sibling Transfer (Grades K-5 only)

A transfer can be requested if you want your child to attend a school that their sibling currently attends. The sibling must also attend that school the following year. Both siblings must live in the same household as you.

Medical Transfer (Any grade level)

A medical transfer is necessary if your child’s current school isn’t providing the right support for their medical condition. In addition to physical health needs, a medical condition could include severe anxiety caused by the current school environment or other mental health needs. You must submit documentation signed by a doctor on their letterhead that states your child’s medical condition and the reason why the transfer is necessary. A NYC Department of Education staff member may contact your child’s doctor for more information.

Safety Transfer (Any grade level)

If your child is unsafe at their current school, you should meet with a school staff member to discuss their concerns. All safety transfer requests must come from the school. Schools must submit a safety transfer intake form, police report, if applicable, occurrence report, and a safety transfer summary of investigation form.  When the necessary paperwork is ready, you should ask to meet with the school guidance counselor to review information explaining the safety concern and request that copies be sent to the Borough Enrollment Office.

Travel Hardship Transfer (Grades 9-12 only)

To receive a travel hardship transfer, your child’s commute must be more than 75 minutes one way, or the school must be difficult to get to by public transportation, such as more than 3 subway/bus changes. You will have to provide proof of address (e.g. lease or utility bill) and a statement asserting that it takes longer than 75 minutes for your child to get to school.

Public School Choice Transfer

These transfer opportunities are for students attending certain low performing schools and are different from hardship transfers. Eligible students will receive a letter by mail in February containing a Public School Choice application, which may lead to an opportunity to transfer to a higher performing school.