Join us on June 2 for Outdoors for Autism! Register now!

IncludeNYC logo

How to Request Records for Preschoolers

October 20, 2021
Advocacy, Family Support, Special Education

You are entitled to copies of your child’s educational records. You can make this request at your child’s school or local Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) office. Your request should always be made in writing. Make sure you get confirmation that your request was received.

Below is a sample letter. Replace blue, bolded type with your information.

Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE)

District Number


CC: District CSE Chairperson

Re: Child’s name, date of birth and Local ID number

Name of Preschool or Early Childhood Program Your Child is Attending

Preschool/Program Address


Dear Name of CPSE Administrator,

I am writing to ask for a copy of my child, child name’s, document you are requesting (like the IEP or your child’s entire educational records file) under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

Thank you for your help and cooperation.      


Your name

Your address

Your telephone number

Your email address


  • You can find your child’s Local ID number on the summary page of their IEP.
  • Contact information for the CPSE offices and CSE chairpersons can be found on the NYCDOE website.
  • Keep a copy of the letter for your records.
  • If you haven’t heard/received your child’s records in 7 days, please call the INCLUDEnyc Help Line at 212-677-4660 for next steps.