Preschool Special Education
The Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) provides special education services to children 3-5 years old. Services depend on your child’s needs and may be provided in any early childhood setting, including a preschool program, Head Start, a child care location selected by the parent, a hospital or at home if determined appropriate.
When to Refer Children to CPSE
Children receiving Early Intervention services should be referred to CPSE for evaluation 4 months before becoming eligible to receive preschool services.
- If a child turns 3 between January 1 and June 30, s/he can receive preschool services starting on January 2.
- If a child turns 3 between July 1 and December 31, s/he can receive preschool services starting on July 1.
How to Refer Children to CPSE
A letter identifying your child and describing why you are referring your child must be sent to the CPSE that works with families in your district.
To find your district and information on your CPSE, call 311 or visit the NYCDOE website.
Once the CPSE receives your referral, it will mail a packet containing:
- A notice that the referral was received
- Consent for initial evaluation letter (C-IP letter)
- A list of approved preschool evaluation sites in NYC
Once you receive this packet, schedule an evaluation at one of the sites.
The CPSE will schedule an IEP meeting within 60 days from the signed consent for evaluation.Download Tip Sheet